Re: branching

On 19 Sep 2002, David Carlton wrote:

> Great, glad to hear I'm on track.  Could you tell me exactly what you
> type to create the merge tags on the mainline and to update your
> branch to reflect the changes between two mainline merge tags?  (And
> whatever words of wisdom you have on the subject of, when you use cvs
> rtag to create a tag, what branch(es?) that tags applies to, would be
> greatly appreciated.)

Sure. To create the symbol tag in mainline (I use rtag, since it will tag
the repository copy, not any local copy):
$ cvs rtag kseitz_interps-DATE-merge gdb+dejagnu

Then to apply the tag to my branch, I "cd" into my branch sources
$ cd my-branch/src
$ cvs -q update -j kseitz_interps-LASTDATE-merge  \
  -j kseitz_interps-DATE-merge gdb+dejagnu

Finally resolve any conflicts and "cvs ci".

> And, given that I'm probably temperamentally suited to relatively
> frequent merges, I'll want to take Kevin's advice and delete merge
> tags that I haven't used for a while.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I should do that, too.

Keith