Re: struct environment

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:51:46 -0400, Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> said:
> On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 04:34  PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>> Absolutely.  But I've always thought that we'd still do it via
>> searching a succession of blocks, with some sort of global
>> structure for figuring out where to look; which means that at this
>> point it's been designed far enough.  I could be wrong :)

> This might be the case.  I'm just trying to make sure it *has* been
> considered.  I'm not saying it actually requires any changes to the
> proposed way of doing things.

Certainly.  I think my attitude now is that the organization of
searching has been considered enough for local uses of struct block;
but clearly more thought has to occur before the global environment
gets designed.  Whether or not that latter will continue to use struct
blocks is up in the air; it's a plausible design, but by no means the
only plausible design.

Wait a couple of weeks; we can have a nice big argument about all of
this then.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu