Re: from gdb on a Mac to BDM on a 68332?

David:

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:14:12PM -0400, David Knuth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've built a gcc cross-compiler on Darwin (Mac OS X) and am now looking
> for a way to do cross-debugging from gdb to a 68332 target via BDM.
> There are a number of hurdles here.
>
> 1) Has anyone done this from Mac OS X?
> 2) How do I configure gdb to use a USB port (late Mac's have only USB
> and FireWire ports)?
> 3) Will I likely have to develop my own USB drivers (IOKit?)?
> 4) Do I have to build a custom USB <-> BDM device?  Are there any
> commercial ones available?
> 5) Should I instead use a USB <-> RS232 converter and then something
> from RS-232 <-> BDM?  What?
>
> I suspect there will be a long road ahead before my goal is realized.
> Thanks for any input to get me going.

I use an Abatron BDIgdb.  It's an ethernet-to-BDM (or
ethernet-to-JTAG, depending on which one you get) adapter that speaks
gdb's native remote serial protocol.  It's easy to set up, just plug
it into your ethernet, twiddle a few configuration settings to tell it
about your CPU32 bus speed and so forth, then start talking to it with
gdb's "target remote" command.  It uses a vanilla gdb, not a patched
one.

I've abused the CPU32 version pretty hard, and it's always come back
for more.  It's pretty robust.  It even has a hook to tie into the RSP
console out ("O") command.

It's a bit pricey, at about $2k USD, but you don't have to burn up
much time trying to get something else to work before it's a much more
cost-effective and productive solution.

No, I don't work for Abatron.  I just like their stuff.  :^)

b.g.
--
Real embedded GNU and embedded Linux training is available.
See http://billgatliff.com for details.