Re: Apple's Objective-C language patch

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 12:30:14AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> I know.  and I believe this was was the likely intent.  Just need to
> check that this is what Apple actually signed up to -> I need to ask a
> lawyer with the actual paper work in front of them to give a nod.

BTW, I can't answer the legal question here, but I can guarantee
you that the intention within Apple - understood by all our managers
- is to get as many of our changes into the FSF versions as possible.
Mostly they're not submitted because no one has time to fix them
and address issues raised by FSF maintainers.  Some changes won't
ever go in because they're grody hacks, some won't go because
they're design decisions the FSF maintainers won't agree with.

But we derive no joy by hoarding our changes to gcc/gdb - share
and ejoy, I promise you that's the intention.  Given that the
changes must be distributed under the GPL, and given our blanket
copyright assignment for changes to gcc/gdb, it's hard to imagine
how we could intend otherwise.