adding namespace support to GDB

I recently asked Daniel Jacobwitz for suggestions as to what I could
do to help GDB, and he suggested that I might try adding proper
namespace support.  I've skimmed a thread on the issue from early
April with lots of interesting ideas; at some point, it sounded like
Jim Blandy was about to start writing up some concrete possible
interfaces, and I was wondering if anything more came of that.

For the time being, I'm going to reread that thread more closely, look
at Petr Sorfa's module patch, look at the DWARF-3 standard, look at
existing GDB code, and think about this for a while.  (Or at least I
hope that's what I'm going to do: maybe I'll instead spend all of my
time arguing with Stanford's benefits office.  Anybody know of any
interesting free software jobs in countries with nationalized health
insurance?)  But I don't want to duplicate effort if somebody else has
already started working on this.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu