Problem debugging SOs

Version 5.0
Platform i386 Linux SuSE 7.0

I've got situation when shared object is loaded at runtime via the dlopen function. GDB afterwards shows that the symbols from this shared object are loaded but when trying to step into the function from this SO nothing shows.

Full debugging info is included in SO.

How should I prepare the system to debug such SW ?