64bit gdb for KAI/KCC compiler

Ok, so here's the deal : KAI released a patch for gdb 5.0 that will allow gdb to read the EDG-style mangled names.  I've attached the patch files that were to be applied to 5.0 (gdb.patch-5.0 and libiberty.patch-5.0).  I tried manually applying these modifications to the 5.2 source, and it builds.  However, there are some definite problems because gdb will now core dump occasionally, not to mention the names are still mangled.
I've included the patch files to 5.0 and my modifications to the files in 5.2 :

gdb/libiberty:
    cplus-dem.c

gdb/gdb:
    dwarf2read.c
    hpread.c
    stabsread.c
    symfile.c

to patch a 5.0 gdb base :
----
cd gdb/gdb
patch < gdb.patch-5.0
----
and
---
cd- gdb/libiberty
patch < libiberty.patch-5.0
----

To patch a 5.2 gdb base with the same modifications :
----
cd gdb/gdb
patch < gdb.patch-5.2
----
and
---
cd- gdb/libiberty
patch < libiberty.patch-5.2
----

After this is done, you can try to build and run.  (export CC='gcc -m64' and ./configure first)

I suppose this is a fairly vague question : but does anyone have a clue why the patches aren't working with 5.2?
This would be a huge help for anyone who has a KAI compiler on a 64-bit system, as it would allow people to debug 64bit programs compiled with KCC.  Or if someone who's familiar with the above-mentioned files could comment on the patched files and what could potentially be wrong with them, I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks so much
--JC