gdb5.x under cygwin, problems

Hi,
    We're having problems getting gdb 5.2 (or 5.1 for that matter) to work
correctly under cygwin. We're using gcc 3.1, and have been unable to get
anywhere using the -g option. The debugger will just crash instantly. We've
recently tried using the -gstabs option instead, which seems to get us a
little bit further, but the gdb seems to fall over when calling fns inside a
dll. We get the following error using a version of NVidia's nvparse.dll:

0x77e5404b in nvparse_dll_iname ()

  This error doesn't occur when we run our project from the command line.
Only from within gdb. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get
gdb working properly with gcc 3.1 under cygwin, as we've been without
debugging for a couple of months now, and its starting to get frustrating.

    Any help much appreciated.

                James Mclaren.