Remote Stub operation.

I'm working with a remote serial stub.
I completely understand the protocol definition,
but I am looking for some input on the logical operation of the system.

When my stub starts up the stub setup code has a built in breakpoint
where it stops and waits for GDB, this works well.

However I would like to have the system start up and run normally while
it waits for GDB to connect.

How should the stub respond when the application is already running?

Is there anyway to have GDB try to stop the target if the normal target
connect fails.

Paul