Re: Towards truly multi-arching the i386

> The i386 has been partially multi-arch'ed for some time now, but only
> the bare minimum has been done.  Therefore I decided to put some real
> effort into it.  I think I've tackled most of the difficulties, and
> made some real progress.  Unfortunately there are quite a number of
> old targets that I'd really like to drop in this process.  I made some
> lists with targets: targets that are already working satisfactory,
> targets that I intend to support (possibly with the help of others),
> one target that's really redundant, and a few targets that I'd like to
> obsolete.  Please take a good look at that last look, and yell at me
> if you can think of a reason not to obsolete any of those targets.  If
> I don't hear anything within the next few weeks they will be lost
> forever :-).

See:
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdbint_15.html#SEC117
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdbint_15.html#SEC153

> Mark
>
> Supported targets
> -----------------
>
> i386-*-aout*
> i386-*-coff*
> i386-*-elf*
These three should be identical.

> i386-*-freebsd*
> i386-*-linux*
> i386-*-msdosdjgpp*
> i386-*-netbsdelf*
> i386-*-netbsd*
> i386-*-netware*
Can this go?  I think it is the old old Novell thing.

> i386-*-openbsd*
> i386-*-pe*
ChrisF would like the PE deleted!  It's been bug reported.

> i386-*-solaris*		Canonicalized to i386-pc-solaris2
> i386-*-sysv4*
> i386-*-vxworks*
>
> To be supported
> ---------------
>
> i386-*-cygwin*
> i386-*-isc*		Issue with START_INFERIOR_TRAPS_EXPECTED
What is this machine?

> i386-*-lynxos*
I think this can go (or at least an attempt made).

> i386-*-sco3.2v5*	Several issues
> i386-*-sco*		Issue with START_INFERIOR_TRAPS_EXPECTED
> i386-*-sysv4.2*		UNIXWARE define, ptid issues
> i386-*-sysv5*		UNIXWARE define, ptid issues
> i386-*-sysv*		Issue with START_INFERIOR_TRAPS_EXPECTED
>
> Redundant targets
> -----------------
> i386-ncr-*		Caught by i386-*-sysv4*
>
> Obsolete targets
> ----------------
>
> i386-sequent-bsd*
> i386-sequent-sysv4*
> i386-sequent-sysv*
> i386-*-aix*
> i386-*-bsd*
> i386-*-mach3*
> i386-*-os9k
Obsoleting os9kread is on the to do list as well.

> i386-*-osf1mk*
> i386-*-sco3.2v4*	Broken

Have fun!
Andrew