Re: ARM and virtual/raw registers

> Ok, so it's clear that the current ARM code for handling virtual and raw
> registers is wrong...
>
> So the question is, what does it need to be?
>
> The answer is that I'm not quite sure, since there are a number of factors
> involved here.
>
> 1) FPA registers are multi-precision -- that is, they are modal, holding
> information about the type of result in the register at any particular
> time.  The extra information is used to enable correct support of type
> conversions with signalling NaNs.

[And I thought MIPS was bad :-)]

So an FP register could contain a single, double, ... and each would be
represented differently - single, for instance, would not be stored as a
rounded double?

I think the Alpha does this for int values - it has some really strange
to/from register/int code.

If this is the only problem, then the new REGISTER_TO_VALUE et.al.
methods should address the problem.

Those methods, do, however, assume that the format of a register spilt
into memory is identical to the layout of the h/w register supplied by
the OS / H/W / ...  Hmm, ...

> 2) The format of that information can depend on the hardware present, or,
> if absent, on the emulator being used (different emulators handle this in
> different ways).

> 3) Some of the emulators use three words to hold the raw information, some
> use four.  RDP returns uses four words.
>
> 4) When a floating point value is stored in memory the format of that
> memory may depend on the instruction used to store it.  For example, the
> sfmfd instruction used in a prologue sequence will store three words (as
> would stfe), but there may be information in the unused bits that
> indicates the type of the value in the register.  The format of this
> memory may, or may not, be the same as the three-word register information
> mentioned in 3) above.

So the way the ARM spills its FP registers into memory may not
necessarily match the equivalent h/w register?

Does the ARM always spill these registers in the same way (at least for
a given ISA/ABI combination?) - if GDB is fetching a saved register from
the stack, it knows what the format is.

> 5) All of the above is poorly documented ;-(
>
> 6) Selecting the correct conversion routine may involve some inspired
> guess-work :-)

Andrew