Re: C++ namespace using directives

On 29 Apr 2002, Jim Blandy wrote:

> Don Howard <dhoward@redhat.com> writes:
> > On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > > Could a C++ person check my understanding of `using namespace'
> > > directives?
> > >
> > > I'm reading Stroustrup, and the more I read about `using namespace',
> > > the weirder it gets.  Check this out:
> > >
> > >     namespace A
> > >     {
> > >       int x;
> > >       int y;
> > >       int z;
> > >     };
> > >
> > >     void f ()
> > >     {
> > >       int *x;
> > >
> > >       {
> > >         int *y;
> > >         using namespace A;
> > >
> > >         *x;  /* `x' refers to local x, not A::x */
> > >         *y;  /* `y` refers to local y, not A::y */
> > >         z;  /* `z' refers to A::z */
> > >       }
> > >     }
> >
> > This example seems correct to me, as the compiler can dis-ambiguate based
> > on type-- dereference works on pointers, so x and y must refer to the
> > local versions.
>
> No, that's not what's going on at all.  In Stroustrup's example, there
> is no dereferencing going on, and he makes the same claims about which
> binding each reference refers to as I do.  I added the dereferences as
> a sanity check, to make sure GCC was doing the right thing.

So the Stroustrup example looks like this:

namespace A
{
  int x = 10;
  int y = 20;
  int z = 30;
};

int x = 100;

void f ()
{
  int x = 0;

  {
    int y = 0;
    using namespace A;

    x = 1;
    y = 2;

    z = 42;  // Which one is not like the others... This one.

    printf ("A::x == %d\nA::y == %d\nA::z == %d\nx == %d\ny == %d\n::x == %d\n",
	    A::x, A::y, A::z, x, y, ::x);
  }

}

int main (void)