gdb

Hi Eveybody
I have been trying to debug a C program that is running multiple threads.
This has given me a lot of headache.
What I want is that I want to step through a single thread while the other
threads do not get a chance to run while I am stepping in that single thread
(i.e. I want "locked stepping").
In the gdb manual I read that it is possible for some Operating systems
to set the so called "scheduler-locking mode".
I have set it on. The answer of my machine (linux version 2.4.3-12 of Redhat).
"Target 'None' cannot support this command".
Now my questions.
1) Can I configure the installation of Linux in such a way that my machine
support the above command?
2) If not, is there in a near future a new version of Redhat Linux
distribution  that supports "locked stepping"?
3) Is there a other debugger under Linux  that offers "locked stepping"?
4) Does the Debian linux distribution offers the "locked stepping".
5) On which Operating systems does "locked stepping" work?

Thanks in advance.

Kees Everaars