Re: 5.1 extremely slow

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 11:03:39AM -0800, John Firebaugh wrote:
> On Sunday 10 March 2002 10:47, John Firebaugh wrote:
> > I've upgraded to 5.1.1 due to bugs in 4.x, but debugging almost any program
> > is unbearably slow. I've attached some detailed debug output; here is a
> > summary:
>
> Update: this is probably the same problem discussed in the thread "gdb and
> dlopen":
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-10/msg00157.html
>
> Is there a fix for this yet?

Not yet.  It's a tricky problem, because we lose the ability to set
breakpoints in early functions in shared libraries if we fix it.

You aren't seeing that problem specifically as much as the hideous
performance of the threads package.  There's no way to disable thread
debugging (should we add a set for that?  I think we should!) but you
can temporarily remove or make unreadable /lib/libthread_db.so.1 to
disable it.  It will automatically kick in if you are linked to
-lpthread.

We need to address some of the performance concerns of this code very
badly.  I have a few ideas but they will not be in time for 5.2.