problems with doubles and streams

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all this, so forgive me if this stuff is obvious!

I'm using gdb to debug my C++ programs and I'm getting problems when reading
double/float values into my program using ifstream. I've searched the web,
and only found one reference to this - an item entitled "C++
double-precision input bug with -2.12184e-293" on the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org mailing list. This item was posted in June 1999, but I
can't seem to find out if its actually been fixed or not!
Can you tell me if this bug still exists, and if there's a fix?
Thanks, Stu.

This email is sent in confidence for the addressee only.
Unauthorised recipients must preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately by telephone (01202 290292) and return the original email to us without taking a copy.
We have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are transmitted to any third party.

Neither Abbey Life Assurance Co. Ltd nor Unisys Insurance Services Ltd accepts any responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or its contents.

Abbey Life Assurance Co. Ltd and Abbey Unit Trust Managers Ltd are members of the Lloyds TSB Group, and are regulated by the Financial Services Authority.