Re: MIPS stack tracing

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 10:57:20AM -0500, Don Bowman wrote:

> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >Most of what it needs should be in .pdr, which is available regardless
> >of -g.  I don't believe heuristics should be necessary in that case.
> >The logic is a bit twisted, though...
>
> Has anyone checked out this older message from the mailing list?
>
> Re: Questions about GCC MIPS R5900's mdebug section
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/1999-q4/msg00290.html
>
> I indeed have no .mdebug section, and I indeed see an unsuccessful
> search for "__GDB_EFI_INFO__". I do have a .pdr section. On the
> surface this would seem to be my problem.
> Should this sym lookup be prefaced with a check for a .mdebug
> section?
>
> Also, from scanning the sources, I would have to guess that the
> alpha architecture is suffering the same problem.

Perhaps, perhaps not.  It depends whether Alpha still uses .mdebug.

.mdebug is the ECOFF/Third-Eye debugging info format; binutils recently
switched to generating stabs-in-ELF like other targets instead.

To my complete surprise, we apparently get PDR information out of the
.mdebug section.  This is somewhat bizarre, as it is also present in a
.pdr section independent of data format.  We need to read in this
information.  I'll investigate next week (if no one beats me to it :).