Re: Questions for GDB Developers

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:12:35AM +0000, Salman Khilji wrote:
> I did a little reading on the licensing and yes it does seem that lifting
> the code and creating a proprietory "real-time data monitor" would be
> against the licensing.

Why do you think that? I've been of the impression that you can't take
even part of the code. I don't even know if you can call binutils without
the code having to be copyleft. I recall hearing of other programs having
to remove calls to GNU libraries just to stay out of the copyleft restristions.

I would think it even in the spirit of the GNU license that anything intended
to bolt into gdb, like ddd or a stub should also have to be covered by these
concepts. Isn't the idea to build a free and open software environment?

-piet