This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Questions for GDB Developers
- From: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple dot com>
- To: Salman Khilji <salmankhilji at hotmail dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:41:36 -0800
- Subject: Re: Questions for GDB Developers
- References: <F122m0gkvVlleAKUFm700016688@hotmail.com>
Salman Khilji wrote:
> 1) Suppose we have to isolate the symbol dictionary code into a separate
> library so that this library can potentially be used to create a new
> debugger. Which source files do we have to include in this library? I am
> talking about the code that reads object/symbol files, determines the
> addresses and types of global variables and dynamically allocated memory. I
> am not interested in stack variables.
In general, we haven't been interested in doing this, because the
usual rationale has been to violate GDB's licensing terms by making
proprietary debuggers. If this is for a new free debugger, then it's
worth talking further.