This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: how to format an error?
- From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at is dot elta dot co dot il>
- To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:21:25 +0200 (IST)
- Subject: Re: how to format an error?
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Given the attached, which is the correct way of formatting an error message:
> This is an error message.
> this is an error message.
> This is an error message
> this is an error message
I suggest the last variant. It goes with the GNU coding standards
except for the capitalization. But capitalization is
language-specific (e.g., in German, all nouns are capitalized), and it
was recently discovered in Emacs development that a 100% adherence to
the capitalization rule you cited produces wrong results in some
cases. Most of the messages don't need caps, so I think losing that
is the best alternative which is simple enough to adher to.