Re: gdb.ini vs. .gdbinit on Cygwin

[Get raw message]
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> We're talking about the Cygwin version.  A native DOS/Windows version
> can keep gdb.ini.  It doesn't matter.

As per Eli note, it can go as well.

> > And the Windows Explorer issue, has it gone on the XP version?
>
> Of course not.  However, we should use .gdbinit the same way as for
> any other host on Cygwin.  There's no reason to treat the Cygwin GDB
> special in that case.

OK.

>  If you think it's really necessary, we can
> keep supporting gdb.ini as well

We need it for backward compatibility.  Users may have a gdb.ini
right now and may not be aware of the change.

>but a Cygwin GDB doesn't have to
> take care for Explorer disabilities, IMO.

OK with me.

> As a resort we could
> begin to support an environment variable GDBINIT or similar which
> contains the name/path of the GDB init file.  That would have the
> advantage to be mostly host independent.

That would have to go through a public gdb discussion as it would
affect other platforms as well.

And what we need is to accommodate users with an older setup and
give them an incentive to switch.  The warning message (if no
.gdbinit was fond and a gdb.ini was found instead) accomplishes
both goals.

Eli, what do you think of that solution?
Does it address your concerns?

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300