Re: Changes to snapshot process ... ?

>> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:21:08 -0400
>> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>>
>> I'd like to propose a change to the way sanpshots are being created.  At
>> present they are being drawn strictly from the 5.1 branch.  Instead, I'd
>> like to suggest running both trunk and branch snapshots.  The process
>> would alternate between creating one or the other.
>

> Any specific reason?  I rather like the way it works now.

For following both the trunk and the branch:

So that both the current branch and the current trunk get put through
the release process.  That includes things like:

	configury et.al. checks
	ARI checks (including DOS file name checks :-)
	documentation generation

as well as ending up with snaps and diffs.

Assuming I do get 5.1 (HP/UX, true64, s390) resolved I'd like to
continue making the head of 5.1 available while also publishing current
snaps.

For alternating:

That is pretty arbitrary.  The objective is to constrain the volume of
raw data that shadow sites have to download every night.

An alternative would be to cut back on the snapshot frequency (weekly
only) but maintain the nightly and weekly diffs.  (Although, to be
honest, that is more tricky.)

Andrew