problem with cross-dev gdb

Hello,

I am porting Linux to a MIPS based embedded system. In order to get a decent cross-dev environment, I have
cross-compiled gdb5.0 for a pc-linux host and a mipsel-linux target. I connect my gdbserver on target and gdb on the host via
network link:

target = 130.145.72.8
host = 130.145.72.10

target> gdbserver host:1234 myAppl

host> mipsel-linux-gdb myAppl
host>(gdb)target remote 130.145.72.8:1234

When these components connect, I can only use the "continue" command. Other gdb commands as breakpoint, list etc result
in segmentation faults. These segmentation faults are reported on the host via gdb. The target gdbserver indicates that it received
: readchar : GOT EOF. Does anyone have a clue on what I am doing wrong? When using the gdbserver, do I still need the gdb-stubs
in the target kernel?

Thanks,

toon