Re: dump memory to file

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:43:42AM -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:

> > Since gdb is GPL'd, and LynuxWorks is distributing the LynxOS
> > version of gdb, then the sources must be available, right?
>
> Right.
>
> However, for such a change to be incorporated into GDB, the
> author(s) of the change must have a copyright assignment in
> place with the FSF. Sometimes it quite challenging to make sure
> that all of the legal documents are signed by the right
> people...

OK, let me see if I've got this: LynuxWorks can't not
distribute the changes, and they can't prevent anybody else
from distributing them, but the changes won't be incorporated
into the official sources without a copyright assignment.

I just went through the whole copyright assignment thing with
my employer so I could donate some stuff to eCos.  It took
years and cost thousands of lives.

Well... it did take almost a year.

Unless LynuxWorks is already set up to do stuff like that, it
would be easier for me to just impliment it on my own.  I
suppose it won't hurt to ask them -- I'm pretty sure I've got a
business card from that Embedded Systems Conference...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com