Re: Which Binutils goes with GDB 5.0?

I do two kinds of builds:

CVS builds: I check out gdb and binutils at the same time, along with
naked-dejagnu (so that I can run tests).  I use these commands:

  CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src
  export CVSROOT
  expect -c 'spawn cvs login' -c 'expect password: ' -c 'send -- "anoncvs\r"' -c 'expect eof'
  cvs -z 9 co gdb binutils naked-dejagnu

There's more work to do if you want to build gcc, gdb, and binutils
from CVS source at the same time (you have to combine the gcc tree and
the src tree).  When you do the big cvs checkout, you will get one tree
with one copy of bfd, libiberty, and so on.

Baseline builds: I do this from tarballs.  I do not combine the trees.
I build binutils 2.11.2 from its source tree, I build gcc 3.0 from its
source tree, and so on.  So each tool has its own copy of the bfd
library and that works fine.

I think it would be a bad idea to combine the trees from different
tarballs.

Hope this helps,

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<chastain@redhat.com>