Re: Moving sizeof.exp:get_sizeof() in lib/gdb.exp

Stephane Carrez wrote:

> Hi Andrew and Fernando,
>
> For the following patchs:
>
> [RFA]: Fix gdb.base/long_long.exp for targets with 2-byte pointers

I understand why you need this here...

> [RFA]: Fix gdb.base/remote for embedded targets (HC11)

... but not here.  Are you sure this second one is related?

> Andrew suggested to use the `sizeof.exp:get_sizeof()' procedure.
>
> Rather than duplicating this procedure in several .exp file, would you
> agree to put it in lib/gdb.exp?
>
> I can submit a patch if this looks reasonable.
>
>         Stephane

I think Andrew meat "do like" sizeof.exp:get_sizeof()....  We usually
either pass or fail after we send commands to GDB so we know if
something (and what) went wrong.

Moving  sizeof.exp:get_sizeof()  to gdb.exp would litter that file even
more (I am already thinking of taking some time to reorganize it).  It
would also leave the sizeof.exp a little bit orphan of it.  Also,
someone can easily misuse it and generate duplicate test ids.

Your patch to long_long.exp is almost fine -- just make your test for
setting "sizeof_ptr" a little bit more robust.

Regards,
Fernando

P.S.: Have you ever resubmitted the patch for remote.exp or answered
Andrew's concerns on why you do not always "runto_main"?

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300