ptype in GDB

Hi ALL
I am porting the GCC toolset for a hypothetical processor. My processor integer size is 3 bytes.I am using "stabs" debugging format. I have successfully ported gcc,binutils,gdb for my processor.
When i debug a program (using ported gdb) compiled by  ported compiler, and use the command "ptype <variable>" (where the variable is of type integer) the gdb returns saying "type=<range type>".The comment in the code says this should not occur.

can somebody tell what could be the reason for this?? and do io rectify this???

thanks in advance
Deepak

http://bol.rediff.com