Re: building gdb for remote vxworks

>>>>> "Dykiel," == Dykiel, Richard <rdykiel@NTSERVER1.PACELINESYSTEMS.com> writes:
Dykiel> Hello, I'm desperately trying to build a gdb capable of remote
Dykiel> debugging powerpc vxworks from a sparc solaris station.  I run
Dykiel> my configure command as follows:

Dykiel> ../gdb-5.0/configure --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.7 --target=powerpc-\*-vxworks
Dykiel> --prefix=/export/home2/rdykiel/bin/gdb-ppc-vxworks

Dykiel> The configure and the make run fine.  However, my gdb
Dykiel> executable does not recognize the command "target vxworks..."

Dykiel> Looking at the compilation, it does not compile the files
Dykiel> remote-vx.c, nor the files in the subdirectory gdb/vx-share

Unfortunately, there is no support for either the old RDB or the new
WDB or WTX back ends for the powerpc vxworks targets.

Till Straumann and I independently developed WDB support for GDB.  My
back end was based on WRS's remote-wtx.c file from WRS's vxgdb, which
(to the best of my knowledge) has not been assigned to the FSF.  As a
result, it cannot be integrated into the mast GDB sources.  Over the
last year or so, I've slowly been trying to write my own implementation.
At this point, all I have is most of the RPC/XDR layer.

Till has expressed interested in integrating his back end into GDB,
and we are currently working out the paperwork that needs to be completed.
In the mean time, you should be able to get at Till's patches at:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~strauman/gdb/index.html

Between Till's and my work, we should be able to get a working WDB
back end into GDB shortly.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin