Re: basename() troubles

> Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 15:59:43 +0200
> From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>
>
> Eli's latest patch to symtab.c:
>
> 2001-05-06  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
>
> 	* symtab.c (lookup_symtab_1, lookup_partial_symtab): Use basename
> 	instead of non-portable search for `/'.  Use FILENAME_CMP instead
> 	of STREQ, to account for case-insensitive filesystems.
> 	(top-level): #include "filenames.h".
>
> uses the following bit of code:
>
>   if (basename (name) == name)
>
> in a couple of places.  Unfortunately the FreeBSD basename() always
> returns a pointer to internal static storage space.  Therefore the
> check will always fail.

Sorry, I failed to consider this possibility.

> There are basically two ways to solve this
> problem:
>
>  * Use strcmp() to compare the strings.

You mean FILENAME_CMP ;-)

>  * Use lbasename() from libiberty which has well defined semantics.
>
> The latter is probably a bit more efficient, and has the additional
> advantage of removing our dependence on whatever broken basename()
> implementation the host supplies.  Do people agree?

I do agree that using libiberty's version is a better solution.

> Another question is, wheter we should replace the other basename() calls with
> lbasename() as well.

I think this is only justified if basename's return value is used as
in symtab.c; I think such cases are rare.  I have a slightly outdated
source tree, and I can only see one other case like that:
source.c:open_source_file (does this mean it didn't work on FreeBSD as
well? that code is quite old, I think).