Re: [Mingw-users] Re: _WIN32?

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:01:00PM +0300, Kai Ruottu wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:19:39AM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote: > On Mon, Apr 30, 2001

>Perhaps this 'MSC_VER'-one, as the more detailed #ifdef's define it,
>may be removed.  For me the _WIN32 has always been unclear.  It is more
>clear to use the '__CYGWIN32__' and '__MINGW32__' than the 'combined'
>_WIN32 meaning them both (at least earlier).
>
>If a port, another than for GCC, would be needed, let it at least be
>for the free or very cheap (coming with books and magazines) Borland
>compilers(5.5 and CodeBuilders), not for the very expensive MS-ones....

>>If you are at least considering this, then it sounds like the _WIN32
>>conditionals in gdb sources should not be removed.
>>
>>I assume that they will be required if you build a no-cygwin version of
>>gdb, correct?
>
>As said, they just make the things more unclear.  Questions like "Does
>this work under Cygwin, Mingw, MSVC++, BorlandC++, WatcomC,...  ?" do
>arise, because the _WIN32 seems to mean them all.  If only the Cygwin
>and Mingw ports are only used to compile GDB/Insight, why not use only
>the '__CYGWIN32__' and '__MINGW32__' ?
>
>Removing the special Cygwin '_imp____cygwin_environ' etc.  stuff, still
>in the snapshots (e.g.  'tcl/generic/tclEnv.c') when I last saw them,
>should be sane...  These things should be defined in the Cygwin
>standard headers, not in the GDB/tcl/tk/tix/itcl etc.  sources.  I'm
>quite sure I stripped all these kind of stuff for Mingw away, it
>already being defined in the standard headers...

Unfortunately, unless you are going to be doing this, none of it is
going to get done.  We aren't looking for volunteers with suggestions,
we're looking for volunteers willing to do the work.

I'm the Cygwin/Windows maintainer but I am really not interested in
getting a non-Cygwin version of gdb working.

If you have patches available against the current CVS sources, please
submit them to gdb-patches@sources.redhat.com and
insight@sources.redhat.com and I will evaluate them.

cgf