Re: Breaking outside of the sources

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Laurent Duperval wrote:

> Someone sent an email on the insight list complaining that when gdb is
> interrupted, you can find yourself stuck in assembly in a line of
> /lib/libc.so instead of a line from your program. He asked whether it was
> possible to limit the lines seen to the programs being debugged and not to
> see system library stuff. I thought it was a a legitimate question.

If you interrupt a system call (you were blocked in select, poll, read,
write, etc), then gdb dutifully prints out that you are there, because
your program IS there. It is not somewhere else, it is in the system
call, executing code in a (possibly shared) system library.

Of course, I could misunderstand this question entirely. It sounds like
the user is requesting that the debugger lie to him about what his
program is executing...

Keith