This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: How do you use GDB to debug GDB
- To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: How do you use GDB to debug GDB
- From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at is dot elta dot co dot il>
- Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:50:36 +0200 (IST)
- cc: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <chastain at cygnus dot com>, gdb at sourceware dot cygnus dot com, ischis2 at home dot com
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > One thing puzzles me, though: why is the section "Debugging GDB with
> > itself" in gdbint.texinfo instead of gdb.texinfo? Is there any reason
> > not to move (or copy) it to gdb.texinfo? Can some of the elders
> > please shed some light on this?
> To expand a little on Michael's comment.
> gdbint.texinfo is for internals - the things you see when you lift the
> bonnet (1) and start poking around with the engine.
Exactly. And, at least in my opinion, a collection of user-level
tricks useful for debugging a specific program called `gdb' is not
exactly ``what you see under the hood''.
> As a complete asside, it has also been suggested that the two documents
> be merged. From memory GCC did this.
How about if we do that for 5.1? Shouldn't be too hard, I think.
OTOH, the GCC manual leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO), so perhaps we
shouldn't follow their lead without thinking real hard.