Re: How do you use GDB to debug GDB

> One thing puzzles me, though: why is the section "Debugging GDB with
> itself" in gdbint.texinfo instead of gdb.texinfo?  Is there any reason
> not to move (or copy) it to gdb.texinfo?  Can some of the elders
> please shed some light on this?

To expand a little on Michael's comment.

gdbint.texinfo is for internals - the things you see when you lift the
bonnet (1) and start poking around with the engine.

gdb.texinfo is for the user - the external interfaces to GDB.  If anyone
has ever wondered why the remote protocol is documented in gdb.texinfo
and not gdbint.texinfo then this is it - it is an external interface to
gdb.  To get carried away with the car metaphore, its a bit like the
section of the manual which tries to explain how it is possible to
change a flat using just the spare and tools all hidden somewhere in the
boot (2).

As a complete asside, it has also been suggested that the two documents
be merged.  From memory GCC did this.

	Andrew

(1) Hood for the geographically impaired.
(2) Trunk for the geographically impaired.