RE: Register group proposal

I must say that, although it's a bit shorter, I don't see a real advantage
to define some interface type xxx for

(1) typedef struct { ... } xxx;
    void f(xxx*);

and

(2) struct xxx;
    void f(struct xxx*);

If you want to get rid of the "struct" in the interface you can go a bit
further:

(3) #ifndef xxx_t
    #define xxx_t struct xxx
    #endif
    void f(xxx_t*);

You can even go even farther and eliminate the '*' from interfaces:

(4) #ifndef xxx_t_defined
    #define xxx_t_defined
    typedef struct xxx* xxx_t;
    #endif
    void f(xxx_t);

Personally, I always use approach (2) and never had any problem, but this
may be biased by the fact that most of my own code is written in C++, so the
typedef is implicit and (2) is roughly equivalent to (1), but with the
advantage that xxx is an opaque type, something IMNSHO greatly compensate
for the need to add the "struct" keyword in C.

Regards,

	Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie