Re: floating point registers in 'info reg'

"J.T. Conklin" wrote:

> >> While just a nit, this has been bothering me for some time.
> >>
> >> The 'info reg' command is supposed to output only non-fpu registers,
> >> but it uses the following expression to determine whether a register
> >> is floating point:
> >>
> >> TYPE_CODE (REGISTER_VIRTUAL_TYPE (i)) == TYPE_CODE_FLT
> >>
> >> which means that FPU control and status registers are output.  Is
> >> there a better way to determine which registers are FP and which are
> >> not?
>
> Fernando> Well, the problem is that FPU control and status registers
> Fernando> should not have TYPE_CODE_FLT as virtual type.  The data FPU
> Fernando> registers are, but not the control ones.
>
> That's not the problem.  For example, on the x86, the fctrl, fstat,
> ftag, ... registers don't have TYPE_CODE_FLT as a virtual type.  But
> since that test is used to determine whether a register is considered
> to be a floating point register, "info reg" will output the values of
> those registers.  On those targets that a separate command to fetch FP
> registers, this adds additional command latency.

I see, the problem is exactly that they do not have this type (things
that
fail this test get printed).

The GUI also needs some classification of the registers in groups, so
they can
be more properly arranged in the register widget.  I wanted to add a few
(optional)
descriptive data to registers.

There new register description interface posted recently by Nick Duffek
is
supposed to help us add these new characterizations.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300