Re: RTOS and gdb

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:58:16AM +0100, Fanny SASSOON wrote:

> I wondered if gdb could be used for debugging real-time operating
> systems?

Sure. Been there, done that.

The eCos RTOS from RedHat (nee Cygnus) was developed with Gnu
tools (including gdb).  I've talked to a number of people who
use gdb for debugging real time, embedded systems.

You don't have some of the features of a full-blown ICE (no
trace buffer, for instance), but these days many embedded
systems are developed using JTAG interfaces that don't provide
those features either.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com