Re: A patch for gnu-regex

"H . J . Lu" wrote:

> > This patch is definitly much better than the original.
> >
> > Unfortunatly, I don't think that selecting a pre-installed regexp should
> > be the default.  My rationale (As Mark? noted) is that ensuring that a
> > GDB release provides consistent behavour between systems (1) is more
>
> Please remember, we, Linux, want to provide a consistent behavour
> cross the whole system. I think, Cygnus and FSF, haven't got rid of
> the idea that you are providing some replacements for some existing
> programs. When you build a Linux system from the source, do you like
> N copies for the same thing everywhere? If I were you, I would want
> everyone to use the

While I can understand viewpoint you're attributing to both that company
formally known as Cygnus and the FSF, it wasn't actually my overriding
concern (As an asside, the (1) ment to have a footnote pointing out I
had GNU/Linux systems in mind when I wrote this).

I would like to see GDB-5 provide consistent behavour across all the
random GNU/Linux distributions that are out there.  I think this is
consistent with other applications that rely on regexp - VI being a very
very good example.  I also want to be able to say, with some certainty,
that a users regexp problem is attributable to GDB and _not_ random
regexp of the day.

A GNU/Linux distributor is free to build a GDB that regexp from an
installed glibc. Actually such a distributor is free to do what ever
they like :-)

	enjoy,
		Andrew