Re: lin-thread cannot handle thread exit

Mark Kettenis wrote:

>    Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:27:48 -0800
>    From: Michael Snyder <msnyder@cygnus.com>
>
>    Hi Mark,
>
>    I appreciate your helping to find problems with it, and
>    I'd like to  know what else in the code you regard as a
>    "loose end".  One of my problems is that I'm not really
>    an experienced writer of multi-threaded apps -- I'm just
>    the person on the GDB team with the most experience with
>    GDB multi-thread debugging.
>
> Well, the main "loose end" is that there seems to be some code to
> take advantage of the event reporing facilities in libthread_db, but
> GDB doesn't really use it right now.

Right -- that's unfinished.  Nice to have but not required.
Also unimplemented on Solaris.

> Another thing is that the comment at the start of the file seems to
> suggest that some code is shared with Solaris, but right now this
> isn't the case.

OK, that comment is a "loose end", all right.
The intent was for the code to be shared with Solaris,
and it started out that way, but the systems proved to
be so different that to meet deadlines we had to split
it into a Linux version and a Solaris version.  Hopefully
we'll be able to re-merge them "some day".

> Anyway, I'm not really experienced in writing multi-threaded apps
> either.  I've some experience in multi-threaded debugging on the Hurd
> (where basically every program is multi-threaded), but the Hurd uses a
> much saner approach than Linux.  I'll do my best to help, but I
> probably won't be able to take a serious look at GDB's way of handling
> multithreaded apps in the next few weeks.

Well then, the main loose end is catching thread exit.
I'll get to work on that.