Re: A revised patch for dlclose

   Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:08:00 -0800
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>

   Here is a revised patch for dlclose. If you take a look at the
   dynamic linker in glibc 2.1 or above, you will find that it informs
   gdb about loading/unloading a shared library via an internal debug
   function, _dl_debug_state (). gdb already handles the loading in
   handle_inferior_event () with BPSTAT_WHAT_CHECK_SHLIBS and
   BPSTAT_WHAT_CHECK_SHLIBS_RESUME_FROM_HOOK. However, we need also
   check the unloading event. solib_verify () will be called only when the
   dynamic linker calls _dl_debug_state (). It shouldn't introduce any
   overhead. I believe it is on the right track although it may be further
   optimized.

HJ, please stop wasting your time pushing this patch.  The patch has
several bad points, that you cannot fix without considerable changes
to the way solib.c handles and caches the link map.

Mark