Re: Status

> the next generation Mac OS X is a real live BSD Unix system

Sorry, this is a digression from GDB (and probably something I could
find on some Apple sites), but is this BSD as in something which is
synced with a modern BSD?  Or is it ancient pre-POSIX stuff like
shipped with so many Mach/NeXT systems from the past?  I heard FreeBSD
is the reference kernel but what about the rest of the system?

Anyway, welcome back and I'm sure having you at Apple will be a Good
Thing.  It was cool to see CVS shipping with Rhapsody but Wilfredo
Sanchez never really got in sync with the CVS world outside Apple (due
to various reasons, not necessarily anyone's fault).

> one of its first jobs will be to decide how to run GDB maintenance
> henceforth; this will be a chance to think about whether to retain the
> status quo or to come up with a new system.

That's a pretty general question.  I want, roughly speaking, to
continue what has been going on with contributions from JT and Andrew
and Stan and JimB and Eli and Jimmy Guo and so on, but to make it
easier for all that to happen, and more oriented towards trying to
attract more contributors (whether in a maintainer role or
documentation writing or outreach or whatever).  So if the question is
"status quo or new system" I think my answer is "neither" :-).

Maybe I'm just overreacting to past experiences but words like
"system" and "decide how to run" remind me of CVS in which I was
trying to write up things into procedures and principles and goals and
other masses of verbiage - it really got in the way more than it
helped (at least with hindsight).