Re: Shared libraries on Linux

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 11:39:49PM -0500, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> > Tue Feb  8 18:19:22 2000  H.J. Lu  <hjl@gnu.org>
>
> Well, this one does work for me.
>
> Based on reading the code (I didn't actually step through it), it
> looks to me like the way it works is in the relevant case it calls
> clear_solib, dumps all symbols, and then reloads them (even for
> libraries which are still loaded).  That seems slow so I wonder why
> the code was written that way.

I believe there are 2 problems Sam tried to fix:

1. Restart the problem when you have breakpointers set in a DSO
which can be a shared library or loded in via dlopen.
2. You have DSOs loaded/unloced via dlopen/dlclose. "info shared"
may be wrong.

Sam's patch may not be the best. But it addresses those 2 problems.
If there are no better alternatives, I don't see why we cannot use
it even if it is slow.

H.J.