Linux/PPC support (was Re: Preparing for the GDB 5.0 ... release)

I am at least partially to blame for nothing happening with regard to
getting the linux/ppc patches merged and committed to cvs.  My excuse
is that I've been assigned some challenging work that has sucked up
all of my work time as well as much of my personal time.

Earlier today, I spoke to my manager about this situation and I've
gotten his agreement (I think) to spend a week getting linux/ppc
support merged and committed. :-)  Better still, the week in question
is next week (2/14 thru 2/18, plus whatever I put in on the weekends).

The reason for doing it next week as opposed to some other random week
is that I'm in the midst of a two week stint of AIX work and it's
better for me to do it now when I'm focused on the PPC and related
architectures and have current (working) build trees for AIX.  Plus,
once committed, it'll give those of you who use linux/ppc on a daily
basis a chance to put it through its paces before the next gdb
release.

When I did the gdb port for linux/ppc, I made a copy of rs6000-tdep.c
and converted it to use the SysV ABI (along with some other linux
specific details).  At the time, this was the right decision since I
didn't have access to an AIX machine to build and test on.  Had I
attempted to work directly in rs6000-tdep.c, I would almost certainly
have broken the AIX port.  But now the situation is a bit different
and I think the right thing to do (maintenance-wise) is to merge
linux/ppc support into rs6000-tdep.c and (partially/minimally)
multi-arch the thing in the process.  There will still be a separate
ppclinux-nat.c file though.

Okay?

Kevin

--