Re: FAIL: gdb.base/finish.exp: finish from char_func

Mark Kettenis wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Running the testsuite on i586-pc-linux-gnu gives me the following failure:
>
>    FAIL: gdb.base/finish.exp: finish from char_func
>
> >From the .log file I see that the output is:
>
>    Value returned is $1 = 49 '1'^M
>
> which looks OK to me.  But in finish.exp there is the following
> regular expression:
>
>    ".*Value returned is .* = 1 '.001'\r\n$gdb_prompt $"
>
> which I don't understand at all.

Oops.  My fault.  I was playing with two different versions of the test
before I checked it in: one which returned the value \001, and one
that returned the ascii character '1'.  I obviously checked in the
c code for one and the regular expression for the other.

> I would expect something like:
>
>    ".*Value returned is .* = \[0123456789\]* '1'\r\n$gdb_prompt $"
>
> (since you wouldn't want to assume that the character set in use is
> ASCII).

Well, the ASCII character set is assumed pretty widely in these tests.
And I'm not really aware of GDB ever being ported to a platform with
a non-ASCII character set.  Tell you what.  I will change it so that
first it's consistant, second it expects an ASCII character, and finally
it will pass but with a remark for a non-ASCII character.

Back to you in a minute...