Re: PDP-10

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:
> > I'm willing to give it a try.  Would a PDP-10 target be acceptable
> > for inclusion in GDB?
> As a remote target? Yes.  As native target, maybe :-)

Well, I've signed a contract to write a native PDP-10 target.  I just
hope my work will be useful.

> GDB needs to get its act together with respect to sizeof host/target
> char.  With respect to a native GDB, well, that could be more
> interesting again.  However, provided there is an active maintainer it
> is still a possibility - depends mostly on the level of damage.

Perhaps a bad idea, but how about something like defining bfd_byte
to be a short on an 8-bit-char host debugging a greater-than-8-bit-char
target?  That way, the target memory could still be accessed as an
array of chars, though with some memory overhead.

> The main thing is to get the issues out in the public domain early so
> that people can understand what changes (and in particular new
> programming conventions) are going to be needed for this to work

Right.  I will report back as soon as I have a more clear picture of
what needs to be done.

--
http://lars.nocrew.org/