Re: gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 06:35:52AM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >   Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:32:22 -0700
> >   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
> >
> >   If you can generalize it for ia32, I will implement it for Linux/ia32.
>
> The code on go32-nat.c manipulates an array which represents the ia32
> debug registers, including the status and control registers.  It
> leaves it to resume() and its subroutines on the target end to
> actually insert the watchpoints when the inferior is resumed and
> remove them when the inferior stops and control is passed to GDB.
>
> If this model suits most or all ia32 targets, pulling the code from
> go32-nat.c into a separate module (probably, as part of i386-nat.c)
> would be very easy for me.  If not, I'd ask the relevant maintainers
> to tell what provisions should I make for other platforms to fit in.
>
> >   If it won't be fixed in 5.1, I will follow your hints and implement a
> >   Linux only solution when it happens to me again.
>
> I can do this Very Soon (tm) provided that I hear a GO from The Powers
> That Be.  Andrew?  Stan?  What say you?

I will vote for fixing it in 5.1. I will do the Linux work since I
brought it up. It has been broken for too long. There is no excuse
not to fix it given that at least 2 people are willing to do it.

> >   Hardware watchpoints
> >   have been known to be broken on Linux/ia32 for a long time and nothing
> >   has been done to it.
>
> That's not 100% true: a few important patches related to watchpoints
> went into mainstream sources (mainly in breakpoint.c) in preparation

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for your work on breakpoints.
It is just that hardware watchpoints under Linux/ia32 are as broken
as before :-).

H.J.