GNU tools for Hitachi H8/300H and H8S

Dear Gentleman / Madam,

It is now the third time I am trying to reach someone at GNU and I am always
getting my mail returned with the comment to send it somewhere else.
PLEASE do not tell me to send this email elsewhere. Instead, please just
forward it to the competent person for me. THANK YOU !!
If this is the kind of support I am must expect to get from GNU, then I am
rather scared !
(please note: I already registered to your mailing list as:
ric@meet-electronics.com)

Here's my original email, for which I am still waiting for an answer:

I am a project engineer of MEET Ltd, a HW / SW design company.
For a new project, I am for the first time considering to use GNU
development tools.
The processor that we want to use is either a H8/300H or H8S from Hitachi.

We received a CD from Hitachi, containing evaluation versions of different
development tools, among those GNU from Cygnus.

For debugging, we would like to use a ROM Monitor system, consisting of a PC
(running GDD) that connects to the target board thru a RS232 interface. I
understand that for this purpose, a special software must be first installed
on the target board's processor. I think that you call this software "STUB".

(we would like to avoid the purchase of an emulator, since this is just a
small project with a small budget).

On the Hitachi CD, I could find several "stub.c" files, however none of them
is for the H8/300H or for the H8S (but there's one, for example, for the
SH).

Since I am not very familiar with GNU tools, may I kindly ask you to answer
my following 6 (six) questions:

1.
Do "stub.c" files for the H8/300H or H8S already exist and where can we find
them ?

2.
In order to get a working version of stub software, ready to be burned in to
the target board's eprom, what amount of work do we have to expect (hours /
weeks) ? (remind that we have no experience with GNU, but we have plenty of
experience with other development tools)

3.
Is the "stub.c" file the only one that is needed, or are other files
required in order to build a complete stub software that can be burned into
the target board's eprom ? If other files are needed, which ones ?

4.
Where are the low level RS232 input/output handler routines (I could not
find them in the provided "stub" file examples) ?

5.
How/where can we tell the stub software about the memory map and other
hardware configurations (RAM location, ROM location, bus size, wait states
etc,) ?

6.
Are there already compiled versions of stub software, ready to be burned
into eprom, for example for a H8S/2345 target board (e.g. versions that use
the processor's RS232 port) ?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Regards.
R. Monleone
email: ric@meet-electronics.com
--

mmmm mmmm m        eeee         eeeee        t
mmmm mmmm mmm   e eeeeeeee    e eeeeeeee   tttt

MEET Electronics Ltd          Ph: ..41-91-6300270
P.O. Box                      Fx: ..41-91-6300277
6877 Coldrerio (Switzerland)

         email:   info@meet-electronics.com