Re: Hardware breakpoints when using i386 simulator

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> David Welch wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using gdb 5.0 to debug an os kernel running on an i386 simulator
> > called bochs. The bochs remote stub supports hardware breakpoints but
> > instead of sending a request, gdb tries to set breakpoints as if the
> > program was running locally. I'd like to fix this, my initial idea was
> > that i386_insert_watchpoint should check if the current target is a remote
> > one and call remote_insert_watchpoint. Is this the right approach?
>
> Hardware breakpoints or watchpoints?
>
> For breakpoints, GDB should first try a ``Z'' packet and then, only if
> that fails, fall back to a memory breakpoint.
>
> Use ``set debug remote 1''  before trying to set a breakpoint to see if
> this is happening.
>
> For watchpoints, these are still (unfortunatly) determined at compile
> time (bug).  Your target (what was it?) may not have them enabled.
> Hardware watchpoint configury needs to be added to the gdbarch vector.

Right.  I am adding it soon.

In the meanwhile, add to your local copy of the config/i386/tm-embed.h the following
horrible hack:

#define target_insert_watchpoint(ADDR, LEN, TYPE) \
        remote_insert_watchpoint (ADDR, LEN, TYPE)

extern int remote_insert_watchpoint (CORE_ADDR addr, int len, int type);

#define target_remove_watchpoint(ADDR, LEN, TYPE) \
        remote_remove_watchpoint (ADDR, LEN, TYPE)

extern int remote_remove_watchpoint (CORE_ADDR addr, int len, int type);

> Have a look at remote.c and the macro TARGET_HAS_HARDWARE_WATCHPOINTS.

You have to define that as well...

--
Fernando Nasser