GDB 5.1?

(Ok, so it is Tuesday, I was ment to send this out yesterday).

Now is probably the time to start to think about another GDB release.
Should it occure, and if so when?  What should be fixed, what would be
nice to fix?

I've attatched the immediatly relevant sections of the TODO file.

While the TODO file contains many other potential I'd rather see the
emphasis on finishing a small subset of that wish list.   If others are
achieved then, that is a bonus.

	Andrew

                Known problems in GDB 5.0
                =========================

Below is a list of problems identified during the GDB 5.0 release
cycle.  People hope to have these problems fixed in a follow-on
release.

--

The BFD directory requires bug-fixed AUTOMAKE et.al.

AUTOMAKE 1.4 incorrectly set the TEXINPUTS environment variable.  It
contained the full path to texinfo.tex when it should have only
contained the directory.  The bug has been fixed in the current
AUTOMAKE sources.  Automake snapshots can be found in:
        ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots
and     ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils

--

RFD: infrun.c: No bpstat_stop_status call after proceed over break?
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00665.html

GDB misses watchpoint triggers after proceeding over a breakpoint on
x86 targets.

--

x86 linux GDB and SIGALRM (???)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-q1/msg00803.html

I know there are problems with single stepping through signal
handlers.  These problems were present in 4.18.  They were just masked
because 4.18 failed to recognize signal handlers.  Fixing it is not
easy, and will require changes to handle_inferior_event(), that I
prefer not to make before the 5.0 release.

Mark

--

Revised UDP support (was: Re: [Fwd: [patch] UDP transport support])
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-04/msg00000.html

(Broken) support for GDB's remote protocol across UDP is to be
included in the follow-on release.

--

Can't build IRIX -> arm GDB.
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-04/msg00356.html

--

Problem with weak functions
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb/2000-05/msg00060.html

--

GDB 5.0 doesn't work on Linux/SPARC

--

                Code Cleanups: Next Release
                ===========================

The following are small cleanups that will hopefully be completed by
the follow on to 5.0.

--

Delete macro TARGET_BYTE_ORDER_SELECTABLE.

Patches in the database.

--

Purge PARAMS.

Eliminate all uses of PARAMS in GDB's source code.

--

Fix copyright notices.

Turns out that ``1998-2000'' isn't considered valid :-(

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-05/msg00467.html

--

Find something better than DEFAULT_BFD_ARCH, DEFAULT_BFD_VEC to
determine the default isa/byte-order.

--

Rely on BFD_BIG_ENDIAN and BFD_LITTLE_ENDIAN instead of host dependant
BIG_ENDIAN and LITTLE_ENDIAN.