This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: non-blocking reads/writes and event loops
- To: gdb at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: non-blocking reads/writes and event loops
- From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw at windriver dot com>
- Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:47:01 -0700 (PDT)
- Cc: insight at sourceware dot cygnus dot com ("Insight (GDB GUI)")
> The thing that needs to be decided is how far GDB should be pushed to
> address this problem. Should GDB continue to be pushed to the point
> where everything is event based or should, the current compromise remain
> where a GUI is unable to exploit GDBs event-loop.
I am a advocate of long-time eventification. We should not create a mess
in an attempt to do it quickly, but it should remain a long-term goal.
The flexibility that we gain in doing so will pay us back later.
In particular, I think it is extremely inappropriate for GDB itself to
require threads. That would, in principle, be about as bad as allowing
parts of GCC to require a working C++ compiler...
toddpw @ windriver.com