[Fwd: I'm stepping down as binutils maintainer]

[For those that don't read binutils]
	sigh,
		Andrew

I am stepping down as binutils maintainer.  I unfortunately do not
have the time required to approve patches, and I don't foresee being
able to do the job anytime in the near future.  Although there are
other binutils maintainers, I think my status as chief maintainer has
been hurting binutils development.  People tend to wait for my
judgement.  I don't have time to give it.  The result is unnecessary
stagnation.

Nick Clifton of Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company, has volunteered
to take my place.  He's been contributing to the binutils for a few
years now, and he knows what is involved.

I will still be reading the mailing lists, and I may comment from time
to time.  I'm also happy to answer specific questions and to try to
explain some of the code I wrote and some of the things I've learned
over the years.  If you specifically want me to address something,
please say so explicitly.

Although I'm sorry to be stopping my active work on the binutils, the
truth is that I stopped it a few months ago.  This step is just a
formal recognition of reality.  The binutils are an important package
for support of free operating systems and of gcc, and I think this is
the right step to permit binutils development to be as good as it can
be.

Ian