Re: gdb seg violation during print command

   Cc: dan@cgsoftware.com, gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: Daniel Berlin <dan@cgsoftware.com>
   Date: 03 May 2000 17:10:37 -0400

   Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

   >    >

   >    What version of gdb is this really? IE when is it from?
   >    (We've had 20000204 there forever).
   >
   > April 25.  But I just tested it with a GDB compiled from sources
   > checked out of CVS half an our ago.  No difference.

   Okay. And you said egcs 1.1.2, right?

That's what it is according to the "Timeline" on gcc.gnu.org :-).

   Please "set debug overload 1" and retry, and send me the results.

   sh-2.03$ ./gdb /tmp/test
   GNU gdb 20000204
   This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.6"...
   Setting up the environment for debugging gdb.
   .gdbinit:5: Error in sourced command file:
   Function "internal_error" not defined.
   (gdb) set debug overload 1
   (gdb) b main
   Breakpoint 1 at 0x1a318: file test.cc, line 9.
   (gdb) r
   Starting program: /tmp/test

   Breakpoint 1, main () at test.cc:9
   9       {
   (gdb) p tteesstt1(1)
   Overloaded function instance tteesstt11(int) # of parms 0
   ...Badness @ 0 : 100
   Overload resolution champion is 0, ambiguous? 0
   Cannot resolve function tteesstt11 to any overloaded instance
   (gdb) quit
   The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y

Does that tell you anything?

   I suspect the problem is that that version of egcs is marking types with
   the wrong sign in the debug info in certain cases, and the
   rank_one_type code isn't handling the specific case, and defaulting to
   saying it's an incompatible overload.

   I ran into this problem once before, and had patches to deal with
   these specific comparisons in rank_one_type, but i seem to have lost
   them during a file system screwup (I did them in early january).

   They were trivial, and i can redo them.

Well, if you can easily fix this, go ahead.  Otherwise it might be
better to concentrate your effeorts on improving support for compilers
that don't have this bug.

Mark